May 11, 2015

Why I deleted my Facebook account?

I get stares when I telly my friends, colleagues and relatives that I deleted my Facebook account. I have got mixed reactions, some ask if there was a personal issue, some say they have been thinking but think that life will be very different and they are not ready yet, others reacted rather strangely by asking, how do I live without Facebook. It has been about 2-3 months now and life hasn't changed much. I do miss checking on how some of my friends are doing but that curiosity is slowly dieing down. These days, I don't know what is bothering a lot of my friends or what is making them jubilant but that is not bothering me much and my life hasn't changed a bit one way or the other. I continue to stay in touch with a few of my close friends and dear ones through other mediums of communication/collaboration such as phone (voice and text), e-mail and WhatsApp.

A lot of my Facebook friends didn't really miss me, which isn't anything do with them but my inability to evolve myself into an interesting friend on Facebook. It is a daunting task to be relevant or interesting on Facebook, you need to have an opinion on a lot of what is happening around you, counter argue at times out of sheer distress reading some posts, "Like" all personal events - Birthdays and Wedding Anniversaries being most dominant events and then as a reciprocation, "Like" all Congrats messages and of course, share some personal pictures and even post on how much you hate your job etc.. Don't you agree it is daunting to say the least? I also got worked up a lot of times seeing people post messages to suggest to the whole world that life is free of complaints.

Facebook is one of those things that people may see that I failed to evolve to the changes in society but I know, I didn't fail. I will continue to stay in touch with friends, colleagues and family through variety of ways.

Those of you, who find comfort in Facebook, do not have to feel guilt. With all other things in life, not all of us like everything around us. This post is in no way to suggest you are not doing the right thing, do what is best for you!

No comments: